CAOS2009 Slicer Workshop
3D Visualization Workshop
The 4 hour course is divided into three sections: an introduction on the concepts of 3D visualization, an experimental hands-on training session using an MR DICOM dataset of the brain and a CT DICOM dataset of the abdomen, and This workshop provides an introduction for orthopaedic surgeons to the basics of viewing and interacting with DICOM volumes in 3D using the Slicer software.
The learning objectives of the workshop are (a) to enhance interpretation of DICOM images through the use of 3D visualization, (b) to gain experience with interactive assessment of complex anatomical structures (c) to present current directions of open-source computer graphics applications in Radiology. After completion of the workshop, participants will be able to visualize and analyze their own datasets within the 3DSlicer platform.
- Ron Kikinis, M.D., Surgical Planning Laboratory, Harvard Medical School, Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Sonia Pujol, Ph.D., Surgical Planning Laboratory, Harvard Medical School, Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Kathryn Hayes, M.S.E,Surgical Planning Laboratory, Harvard Medical School, Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
- Wendy Plesniak, Ph.D., Surgical Planning Laboratory, Harvard Medical School, Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
Logistics and Registration
- Date: Wednesday June 17, 2009
- Time: 2 PM - 5:30 PM
- Location: 1249 Boylston St., Boston MA.
- Directions The venue is walking distance from the Conference facility.
- Participants are required to come with their own computer (PC, Linux or MacOS).
- Attendance is limited to 25 participants. To sign-up for this event, please register on the CAOS registration website with your contact information: name, title, affiliation and address.
- 1:45 PM - 2:00 PM Preliminary session: Software and data installation trouble shooting
- 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM Overview of NA-MIC tool-kit and the Slicer 3 platform (Ron Kikinis)
- 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM Hands-on Session 1: 3D Data Loading and Visualization (Sonia Pujol)
- 3:30 PM - 3:45 PM Coffee-break
- 3:45 PM - 4:30 PM Hands-on Session 2: Data Saving (Sonia Pujol)
- 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM Clinical Applications in Orthopaedic Surgery (TBN)
- 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM Discussion
The workshop is a series of hands-on sessions. Please complete the following tasks in advance of the workshop.
Please allow yourself ample preparation time. Depending on network connection and configuration of your laptop it may take anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes to complete these download and installation tasks.
The following components of the NA-MIC kit will be used during the workshop.
- 1. Slicer3: software application
- 2. Datasets: pre-computed MR datasets
Please install the version of Slicer3 appropriate to the platform you'll be working on during the workshop
- Windows XP: Slicer3-3.2.2008-08-20-win32.exe
- Mac OSX Darwin PPC: Slicer3-3.2.2008-08-20-darwin-ppc.tar.gz
- Mac OSX Darwin Intel: Slicer3-3.2.2008-08-20-darwin-x86.tar.gz
- Linux x86: Slicer3-3.2.2008-08-20-linux-x86.tar.gz
- Linux x86-64: Slicer3-3.2.2008-08-20-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
Recommended configuration: Windows XP, Linux (x86 or x86_64), Mac OS (ppc or Intel), 2 GB of RAM and a dedicated graphic accelerator with 128 MB of on board graphic memory.
Note: Apple Mac OS X
For Mac OS 10.4.10 (Tiger) install X11 from the OS disk 1 (not installed by default on new machines).
For Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) visit the xquartz website and install xquartz.
Please download the following datasets for the hands-on sessions:
Please contact the Slicer Users mailing list for support and questions related to the software.
Back to Events